Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Review: Scarlet

Scarlet Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Scarlet Benoit is on the search for her missing grandmother. When she meets a man called Wolf, who claims to have information that could help Scarlet, she only goes along with him for the sake of finding the only family member she has ever been able to depend on in her life. Cinder is a cyborg mechanic attempting to break out of jail with the help of another prisoner and a doctor who has discovered the importance of Cinder and what she means to the fate of the world. Together, the group must find a way to stop the Lunar Queen Levana from gaining control over the earth before its too late.

Okay, fine! I started reading this book before I actually started reading Cinder for the whatever time. I don't know why but when I tried reading this book, I just liked Scarlet that much more as a character. She was a girl with a good head on her shoulders, strength galore and a take-no-shit attitude that made her plain fun to read about. Of course, once I realized that Cinder would continue to have chapters showing what was going on with her plot, I put Scarlet down for a while until I managed to catch up enough in Cinder to justify reading both books at the same time.

And it just escalated from there. I wanted to know what had happened to Scarlet's grandmother. I loved the awkward touch and go beginnings between Scarlet and Wolf. I even thought Cinder was so much more interesting in this book compared to her adventures in book 1. And of course, I really enjoyed Cinder's interactions with Captain Thorne. I thought Scarlet was smart and resourceful. I loved that she didn't wait for others to help her, she figured out what needed to be done, got help when she needed it, and she knew exactly what she wanted to accomplish. It was wonderful to read about a lead who understood herself enough to be motivated to save her grandmother despite what lay ahead for her and the doubt that faced her.

In the end, this book convinced me to give Cinder another try and it convinced me to give the rest of the series a go. I'm glad it did because I enjoyed these so much more than I thought I would.


Rating: 9 Stars

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment