Saturday, October 22, 2011

A Reflection of My Reading List

It appears that I have got a lot of books on my "Currently Reading" list.

........

Okay, so that's definitely an understatement. Either way, I'm looking forward to finishing as many of these books as I possibly can in the next few weeks.

So looking at my list I see The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer up first. This one took some convincing, I'll admit. I'd read some great reviews and I'd read some really horrible ones. I've picked it up and carried it around several times, ready to buy it, only to end up putting it back. Finally, I bought it. I sat down to try reading two chapters before moving on to the next on the list (I figured forcing myself to do this would make it easier to finish all the books in a sufficient amount of time). I found myself almost 50 pages in before I realized I'd gone way past my goal of 2 chapters. Really happy I finally picked it up.

The Scorpio Races was one of those books that I wasn't too sure about picking up when it was released. I bought it because of the good deal my local bookstore had for the first week of the release. I've read the first few chapters and I know this was the right decision. Maggie Stiefvater has always been a great writer (I actually have all of her books) and its obvious she's got something unique going here with the angle of her story.

The Name of the Star was simple to decide on. Jack the Ripper? End of story for me, no doubts whatsoever that I was going to buy this. It's been a great read so far and now I'm looking into Maureen Johnson's other works. Fun times ahead.

The Iron King, The Demon King, Leviathan and Born at Midnight have been on my shelves for months and I have yet to finish them. Not because they aren't good but because I put the book down for just a moment and I end up putting so many things on top of them that it takes time to dig them out. However, each of these have had sequels released in the last month or two. And yes, I have all the sequels (I may not keep up with reading my books, but I keep up with attaining them at least). Now I'm making sure to read through each of these so I can get caught up with each series. It's the least that I owe myself after all.

I found Shifting by accident. I'd seen a review on Amazon and thought, well, that seems interesting. So when I found it at my local bookstore I figured hey, why not? So far I haven't been disappointed.

Dearly, Departed. What can I say about this book? So far, I am enthralled with this world. I dread finishing this book because the sequel's release is still to be determined. I just hope it's not longer than the average year to wait for the sequel to come out in stores. I may end up memorizing my favorite parts from re-reading it too much.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone is my first book purchase by Laini Taylor. I've heard of her work before but I've never managed to find her books at the store and as a result, have always forgotten to order them when I make an online purchase. What sealed the deal for me on this one was the intriguing synopsis on the inner flap. I had my sister read it and when she quirked her eyebrows in surprise at what she'd read I knew that I'd found a good book to buy. Simple as that.

I can't remember where I first heard about A Long, Long Sleep. Maybe I read about it on a blog somewhere? Maybe it was recommended to me after one of my many purchases. I don't know. All I can be happy about is that I did find it. It's taken some time to get to but I've finally started reading it. The writing is beautiful and the story is intriguing. Brilliant start and encouraging for me to finish.

So many books, so little time!! and then I have classes to finish, papers to write and just way too many things to do....

I hope to finish these within the next two weeks. I need to have time to read the rest of my books for the rest of the year, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment