Thursday, September 11, 2014

Clearing off the Cobwebs and Talking about Books

It's been nearly two years since I've felt the need to write anything here. I had picked up a good rhythm to posting on here. I was reading my books and gathering my notes and putting my thoughts here because I thought it was what I wanted to do. I really didn't care if people stopped by and read what I wrote. Then I posted a review and a month passed by, and then another, and lo and behold, it turned out to be the last one I'd seemed to have written.

But every now and then I would sign back in here, look at what I wrote and think that maybe I should go back to that. Just pick up where I left off. So I'm cleaning things up here and I'm going to attempt to post again.

Just so you know, I haven't stopped reading or writing. The evidence might not be here but trust me, it exists.

Let's clear the air a bit first, shall we?

The last year has been difficult. I can't wait for 2014 to end. This year will forever live in infamy in my mind. I will look back on 2014 and think doom on you and all you stand for! And so on in that fashion with a lot more colorful language and imagery. I'm waiting for this year to end, literally counting down the days. I'm tired of everything that has happened and just want to finally get to a point where I don't dwell on everything that has passed and worry about what the future could possibly bring me. I'm lucky I haven't had a complete breakdown, that's how bad this year has been.

It goes without saying that the need to write just slowly faded away with each new trial that has come my way. I've kept reading, sometimes finding good books and sometimes ending up extremely disappointed with what I've found. I've even given up on some books completely, skimming through the rest of it before giving up and moving on. That's always a sad moment for me. But every time I find one good book, I want to sing its praises, I want people to know, without a shadow of a doubt, that it's a great book. Sometimes, I find I have to restrain myself from telling customers in stores that I've read the book they're carrying and that, trust me, it's a brilliant book. Because that would be creepy and there are safer ways to do that, like this blog for instance.

So this is the time for a fresh start. I want to look at what has come at me, these personal trials and struggles that have hit the people I love, and be the one that pulls them through. And that means going back to the things I used to do and proving that in the face of adversity, I can come out ahead.

So here's to more talk about Shakespeare and more reviews about the big books and the small books and every book in between that catches my eye. (My city library is having a book sale soon and that means more books to smuggle away into my personal library.) Here's to occasionally talking about a show that impressed me, a movie adaptation that warmed my heart, or even editing quibbles I have.

It's not New Year's but this is the start of a new year for me. I'll start with one review a week and the odd post now and then about life in general and the books I'm looking forward to.

Let's start now.

First big, important book I'm looking forward to?




Less than a month to go until the release of Lila: A Novel by Marilynne Robinson. When I found out that Robinson was set to release a new novel, I was floored. When I found out what the plot was and who it was focused on, I was ecstatic. This is something that I've gladly waited for and now the time for its release is almost here. I'm going to read Gilead and Home again in preparation for this book.



I am a big fan of the Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix. I started reading these books when they were first released, starting with Sabriel, and was at the store the day each subsequent book was released, finishing school work as fast as possible so I could continue reading during my free moments in class. (This was before I had the means to enjoy the fact that pre-ordering my book makes this all so much easier.) Clariel: The Lost Abhorsen is out in October and the Old Kingdom series is perfect for fans of fantasy, adventure and kick-ass women.


October is the month, fellow readers. This is the month filled with the books that I just had to pre-order from every source that I could find that fit both my budget and my interests. I own almost all of Maggie Stiefvater's books. This one is no exception. Even my sister has pre-ordered her own copy. Tip of the day: if you can manage it, show support for your favorite authors by ordering the signed copies of their books through the venues that offer them. I never get the chance to go to the book signings so I love the fact that I can still get my books signed just as I've always wanted to. Blue Lily, Lily Blue is the third book in the latest series by Maggie Stiefvater. I highly recommend this series, which also includes The Raven Boys, which I reviewed on my blog, and The Dream Thieves.

No comments:

Post a Comment