Monday, July 27, 2026

Book Review: A Penance for Crows by Shannon Morgan

Once upon a time, I used to seek out horror. Books, movies, shows, you name it, I was interested in learning more. As a child, my parents would watch the occasional horror movie in the living room, leaving my sister and me in our room with our own choice of film to watch. I would crawl down the hallway and hide behind a rocking chair, watching their choice of film from under the rocking chair arm. I grew up trying to watch every horror movie my Dad had in the house. I would seek out horror and thriller books at the public library when we managed to get there for a day out. But sometime around fifteen, I stopped looking for horror. I'm not sure if I just felt bored with the material, if I'd read too many of the same old stories, if I was figuring out who the villain was before the final girl took her last stand. It's been something I was meaning to get back to for years and this year I FINALLY told myself it was time to try going back to the genre. I've purposely sought out monsters and unreliable narrators, secluded island communities and things that creep out of the dark. That was how I found A Penance for Crows, a story that sounded exactly like the kind of book I was looking to try, a gothic thriller with bit of a mystery thrown in. It was on a list of new horror book releases for the year 2026 and I made a note of seeking out this book at the start of the year and even have my official copy pre-ordered.

It was menacing and tragic and altogether a very, very good book. I want to call it brilliant but the subject matter will sit in the depths of my soul for some time, but fine, yes, brilliant but more almost heartbreaking. That ending though? Everything I didn't know I wanted from this story.

A Penance for Crows follows Grizela Urquhart, who has lived a solitary existence on Beanna Dubh for the last forty years, having fled there in her youth to get away from a lifetime of bullying in Glasgow. Grizela has been on the fringe of a society ruled by their superstitions and the iron hand of the church, once trying to help the other islanders but after being rebuffed, has learned to keep to herself. Life on Beanna Dubh is not what she hoped to find as Grizela has made sure to keep the secrets of her past from the islanders, all the while also witnessing various things the people would rather keep secret or ignore. One morning, Grizela finds the body of the island's younger priest washed up on the beach with a disturbing symbol drawn on his chest. As Grizela starts to hear whispers only she can hear following her and the islanders start to fear that the devil has come to destroy them, Grizela turns her attention to protecting a quartet of girls that she had taken under her wing. But when Grizela learns the real reasons behind the girls' midnight meetings, Grizela listens to the whispers telling her to keep the girls safe and wonders if the secrets of her past will finally come to light.

Morgan has a deft hand with the world-building in this book. The island of Beanna Dubh felt real in the sense of what the location invoked, this sense of isolation and a resistance to embracing modern times. The fact that the people clung to their religion and their superstitions also helped to bring a sense of suspicion to the book, knowing that the islanders allowed themselves to be swayed so easily by someone who could manipulate them with words, eyeing anyone who spoke out against what the majority believed. The islanders were so easily led by people they had put in a position of authority, specifically their priest, and this man was the type who felt like he could rule these people, bend them to his every whim, pass judgement and demand retribution. This leant the book a sense of caution and filled in the details of the story and the world that Grizela lived in, showing exactly what she was trying to protect her girls from as well.

Because that was the kind of world that Morgan has created in this book, a place where you either became a part of the problem or a place you managed to escape. The only in between position was the life Grizela led and that wasn't an appealing existence either. With the superstitions added in, it was easy to feel a sense of unease throughout the book, to wonder if there really were demons being called forth to smite people who had done horrible things. There were also crows everywhere, watching everyone at any time, even going so far as to warn Grizela of certain things or even somehow leading her to where she needed to go. The story behind their existence was another intriguing aspect of the story, making the crows seem like some kind of omen, something that put the people on edge because of the stories they believed about them. The reader was made to wonder if there really were things in the dark with different moments that Grizela witnessed, wandering cemeteries and walking down paths with only a lamp to light her way. The descriptions built a menacing existence and the people in the story did the rest to make this island a place where evil could have taken root and was now serving justice to those who deserved it.

Grizela was an interesting lead, a woman who had been a part of the island for decades but was still ostracized by the occupants of the island who held the most sway with other residents. As a result, Grizela did not have many friends and she had taken on the task of taking care of a quartet of girls that she most identified with, trying her best to protect them. All of this made her a sympathetic character and I loved that she was an older woman in her 60s, someone who had tried to get away from her past and had chosen such an isolated location to build a home. It was easy to want to protect Grizela just as much as I wanted to protect her girls because of the unfairness that seemed to come at them from every direction, the hypocrisy of those who deemed themselves powerful and who judged them in turn. I want to go into the specifics of each girl, Maeve, Nessa, Una and Enya, but a lot of this book depends on learning each girl's individual plight. Suffice to say, I wanted to throw a lot of people off the cliffs of Beanna Dubh as each reveal was made and I have to admit, I smiled as things started to come to light and characters got their comeuppance.

As for the plot, I'll be honest, I wasn't sure what the book was building towards until the last few chapters hit and it was wonderful to question so many things until I finally got my answers. The whispers that Grizela could hear and the things she saw at night left me wondering if she was going mad or if there really were demons on Beanna Dubh, and that delicate balance is a definite plus for the story. I wanted to believe everything that Grizela thought she saw but at the same time, when she doubted herself, I had to wonder what was real. The sense of dread that Grizela felt, watching as the islanders were convinced about demons and then watching the behavior of the crows that seemed to be everywhere, all of this worked to build the suspense of trying to understand what was really going on. The way this book was written, every piece served a purpose, every reveal led to another point that led to another reveal, and by the time I reached the end of the book, the conclusion made everything I questioned make sense and I was admittedly impressed by the outcome. A lot of the draw of this story depends on the way the reader is led through every moment in this book and I, for one, enjoyed every twist and turn this book made.

I might not be able to read this book again for a while. A lot of what was revealed was tragic and it definitely made me angry and frustrated more times than I can recall but at the same time, I loved this book. I loved these characters and I'm so grateful I had the opportunity to read this story. I hope to find the time to read the rest of Shannon Morgan's books as soon as I can afford to add them to my library.


Rating on my Scale: I'm giving this 10 Stars because of the reveal at the end of the book. I'm usually able to see certain things coming but this book caught me off guard and I know I will remember it for a long time as an incredibly respectable read.


My thanks to NetGalley, Kensington Publishing and Shannon Morgan for the eARC of this book in exchange for a honest review. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment