August kicked me in the teeth and i am so behind on reviews but i finally finished this amazing book and i have one thought screaming in my head:
NO!! IT CAN'T END THERE!!
full review to come once i get sleep.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Technically, I haven't slept yet. I haven't been able to sleep since the second week of August but I figure, hey, if I'm not sleeping, I might as well write. So Kobra was pitched as for fans of "The Mummy" and "Indiana Jones." I grew up watching Indy (thanks Dad), and I was in the theaters when "The Mummy" was released at the dollar theater because yes, I remember that detail. And guess what? Kobra fits in with those titles easily and manages to stand apart with enough pizazz that I'm still reeling over the loss of that ending. I can only hope book 2 is not that far behind because really, my heart can't take any more breaking.
First of all, the world-building here caught my attention and did not let go. The idea about how the people get their powers and the experiments to figure out how to get certain powers, then the struggle between the countries, ALL OF THIS just hooked me from the start. Wells gave enough information to keep readers moving through the story. The world was established and our characters moved in ways that kept readers engaged. The dual narrative really helped with the whole setup of the book, having most of the events being told as a recount of things from one lead's point-of-view. The back and forth in time also kept me from truly figuring out things before Wells gave us that information and I love when a book can keep me on my toes.
Character wise, I'm not sure who I liked more, Davina or Zephyr. Truly, Davina was a force and I wanted to know so much more about her childhood but I can be patient to see what happens in the next book. I'm not usually a fan of characters that strike out on their own so many times in a row but I was actually charmed by Davina's methods. This is a woman who knows how to accomplish what she sets out to do so hey, she wants to sneak out to investigate? By all means, let's follow her to see what she finds next. As for Zephyr, I greatly enjoyed how the book worked to show his viewpoint in questioning Davina. I loved how quick he was to start to protect Davina, not that she needed it but a guy willing to act on good instincts and has honorable intentions is one to respect. I want to say more but I can't for fear of spoilers but I will say that Wells wielded a deft hand with the detail and I did not see that ending coming. Okay, moving on.
As for the plot, the search for the artifact in question was a great driving point for the story. I wanted to see what would happen when Davina and Zephyr found what they were looking for and while some of that was the focus, a lot of this book also delved into the ethics of what these nations would do with what they found and in turn how it affected their citizens. My heart broke for a particular character and even though she had a happy life in the present of the book, I still think about her in my head, wondering at the people who created her gift and everything that came for others like her. I have questions but while I will have to wait for the next book to get those answers, I'm still very happy with how this book came together in the end.
Read this book if you're a fan of adventures and hidden agendas and strong characters. I can't wait to see how Wells picks up things in the next book.
Rating on my Scale: Yeah, giving this one the whole 10 Stars because yup, I ended up loving this one. I did not see those reveals coming and I am left on tenterhooks waiting to see what happens next.
My thanks to The Nerd Fam and Cris G. Wells for the eARC of this book in exchange for a honest review. All opinions are my own.
No comments:
Post a Comment