Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Book Review: Do You Want to Start a Scandal?

Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5, Castles Ever After, #4)Do You Want to Start a Scandal by Tessa Dare

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Charlotte Highwood has a problem. She must find out who had a scandalous tryst in the library at the ball she attended because everyone believes it was Charlotte in the library the night of the ball. If she doesn't find out who the couple was, she'll be forced to marry Piers Brandon to save her reputation.

As they work together though, Charlotte is faced with another dilemma, the fact that marrying Piers might not be as bad as she thought it was going to be, after all.

This is more of a 3.5 Stars for me but it's Tessa Dare, and I adore her books, so I bumped it up to 4.

BUT there were a few things that bothered me about this book.

First of all, let me say that I have been waiting for the last of the Highwood sisters, Charlotte, to get her chance in the spotlight. I loved her sisters' stories and the bits she had in other Spindle Cove plots, and darnit, she deserved her happy ever after. Just not with a guy who couldn't figure things out until the very end of the book. For me, it just took too long for Piers to get his act together. Charlotte deserved a little more, considering what a saint she had to be throughout the book.

Which brings me to my next point. Who is not a fan of Mrs. Highwood? ME; that's who. I have to give Charlotte credit for lasting so long under her mother's intense scrutiny but honestly, having that character so close for the duration of the novel just didn't work for me. Have to give Dare credit for creating a woman that works a little too well at showing the worst, obsessive, "I only want what is best for you!", character traits of the dreaded proper society mother. That character made me disgruntled.

Finally, the gall-darned mystery. Fine, watching Charlotte prove herself as she worked things out was fun but honestly, when things escalated and Charlotte ended up in harm's way for what I felt was not a good reason, it just didn't cut it for me. Poor Charlotte suffered a lot and it could have been cleared up easily. I just felt that the fairness of the situation should have been addressed at least a little. They deserved a little more admonishment after everything poor Charlotte went through in this book.

Overall, this was still a good addition to the series. I read this really fast. If you love Tessa Dare's Spindle Cove series, be sure to give this a shot, at least to see Charlotte have her chance at fun.



Rating on Blog Scale: 6 Stars. I've gone back and read Minerva's story over and over, and Diana's story as well. But I haven't gone back to read Charlotte's story since the first time I read it. Still love and adore Tessa Dare's books and currently have pre-ordered her next release, The Governess Game, which will be released on August 28, 2018.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment