Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Book Review: Where Am I Now?: True Stories of Girlhood and Accidental Fame

Where Am I Now?: True Stories of Girlhood and Accidental FameWhere Am I Now?: True Stories of Girlhood and Accidental Fame by Mara Wilson

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


It's hard for me to say that I loved this book because the gut-wrenching honesty in this book and the story of the struggle of a kid growing up makes me feel like how dare I say that I loved reading about the lessons Mara Wilson has managed to get out of her childhood? It's just not the right sentiment, if that makes sense.

BUT I love her way with words, the way she turns a phrase, the quips and the snark and the way she doesn't pull her punches when it comes to the hurt. Despite the fact that she was a child star, and she grew up in a completely different way of life from me in terms of home and schooling, I found myself identifying with the situations she wrote about, the struggle to fit in, to figure out who you are, to find what you are good at and take chance at it. I teared up a lot more than I was expecting to because the truth is that this is a book about the struggles to grow up a little bit different from the rest of the kids. The fact that Mara Wilson was once a child star doesn't matter so much in the long run because she's a born storyteller, and as a reader, I wanted to hear more of her stories the further I got into the book.

I'm glad I took the chance to read this book. Mara Wilson is a voice in writing that I hope to hear more of in the future.


Rating: 10 Stars. This book was moving, unbelievably touching. I hope others come to it with an open mind because it's more in so many ways for all readers.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment