Friday, August 14, 2026

Book Review: A (Dead) Thing Like Me by E.G. Young

The title drew me in, I'll admit that from the start. Then the cover art was eye-catching and I needed to know the plot of the book. A (Dead) Thing Like Me convinced me to read it with a mention of a ouija board and banana peppers, easy as that. As I was reading, I was intrigued by everything, every moment between Hot Dog and Logan, drawn in to their story of friendship and their learning about each other. I'm glad I took a chance on the book with the coffin on the cover because now I'll be following E.G. Young to their next book, just to see what else comes out of a mind that created such an intriguing premise as a debut novel because seriously, very respectable read, I truly believe that.

A (Dead) Thing Like Me is about a ghost called Hot Dog, a teenage ghost that haunts a hot dog stand outside the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Hot Dog has been trying for so long to get the owner of the stand to see her until one night she's summoned through a ouija board to a party in Florida and now everyone can see her. Everyone runs away except for Logan, the artist that was trying to summon her dead best friend and got Hot Dog instead. Hot Dog, who has stitches holding her mouth shut and a dress that chatters, wants to be Logan's best friend and is determined to prove she can do everything that a real live girl can do. But Hot Dog is not a human girl and something is following her. It has a place in Logan's house where it wants to drag Hot Dog through and in order to get it to leave her alone, Hot Dog will have to remember who she once was and how she died. If not, the thing that wants Hot Dog won't stop with just Hot Dog, it will take Logan too.

Young has created an interesting world here where Hot Dog exists just a little beyond the normal scope of things. She sees everything as it is and desperately wants to be a part of the world again, she yearns to be a normal girl and that emotion made her feel familiar. It was easy to move with Hot Dog, to watch her with Logan and to see how Logan knew about ghosts and easily accepted Hot Dog into her world. At the same time, Young added in these truly unsettling and sometimes beautiful additions to show what is a part of Hot Dog's afterlife. We see things that would explain why Hot Dog doesn't remember who she was and it was an interesting way to show how the dead lose things when they lose their body. I also loved the way Hot Dog held on to things that were important to her, the idea of being able to go back to those things the way she did was a really heartwarming aspect of the book. Young has so many interesting and unique ideas with Hot Dog and the journey through the book to see all of it was a treat.

Hot Dog and Logan felt so familiar, easily believable as teenage girls in the world today. They had recognizable concerns and griefs and their yearning to understand everything made them girls that I wanted to help and protect. Their pain made them tragic and yet they kept going, trying to figure out the truth about Hot Dog and trying to help Logan process her grief over the loss of her best friend. When these two were together, I could see how well they worked to make the other try to be more, especially with Hot Dog as she discovered more about just what she was capable of as a ghost. Their back and forth was charming and their growing friendship showed how they were growing together as characters that were changing for the better. Hot Dog was desperate to be Logan's new best friend, to prove that she could be normal, but it turned out that the things that made Logan want to talk to Hot Dog were the things that made her weird and different, aside from the fact that she was dead. In the end, I wanted to keep these girls safe and the reveals at the end of the novel were both unexpected and exactly what I thought was going to happen and those together were the perfect way to leave these girls.

As for plot, I was sure of some reveals but there were some unexpected turns that this book took that left me with my jaw hanging open because wow, that hit hard. The whys about what is following Hot Dog and how it was created were so devastating in nature. What started as trying to figure out who Hot Dog once was turned into why did Hot Dog do all of this to hide her truth from herself. Every clue led to something else, to explain something more that expanded the world and filled in a little more detail about Hot Dog until everything was revealed and when the truth was discovered I felt vindicated and then heartbroken for her. I want to say more but I will continue to avoid spoilers with soon to be published books so this is where I will end this review. I will add though that I still have some questions about the story and certain characters and I'm sure it's just me being nitpicky that those questions still ring in my head when I think of this book. I loved so many different parts of this book, I just don't think it's going to live on in my head for years and years.

In the end, I think E.G. Young is an extremely talented writer and I hope to be able to read more books by them in the future. If you like books with unsettling imagery and ghosts trying to be your new best friend, look no further, because Hot Dog is the ghost for you.


Rating on my scale: 8 Stars. I wanted to love this and there were many parts that awed me. At the same time, I am left with questions about different things. I feel like there were things that were left unexplored, maybe for a good reason, so if there's another book in the future in this world, most likely I will up the rating on this book. Either way, this was a great read and it introduced me to a writer I'm sure I will love in the future and that makes it worthwhile for me.


My thanks to NetGalley, Holiday House and E.G. Young for the eARC of this book in exchange for a honest review. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment