Monday, August 17, 2026

Book Review: Suhwa: The Guardians of the Dawn by S. Jae-Jones

I've been a fan of S. Jae-Jones since Wintersong and had been waiting for ages for a new book by the time Zhara was announced. I was determined to read it and while it wasn't an instant favorite, I still loved the fact that Jae-Jones was writing and publishing again so I kept going with the series. So of course, it turned out that each book was better and better than the one that came before it and overall, I LOVED this series and Suhwa was exactly the book I needed to close out the whole storyline.

Suhwa follows the title character, Min Suhwa, a young woman with a gift for illusions who has been living in a convent for the last decade. When the Bangtan Brothers come to a town not too far from the convent for a performance, Suhwa decides to take the chance and sneak out to go see them. Except Suhwa has walked into a world that is more than what she expected as the Morning Realms are in a civil war and Hunstmen are occupying towns, searching for magicians and the Guardians of Dawn, the fabled elemental warriors. Suhwa ends up almost captured by the Huntsmen and flees into the forest to try to figure out her next move and stay safe. The story also follows Zhara, Ami and Yuli, the Guardians of Dawn, who are trying to keep the north from claiming the throne and destroying all magicians while at the same time, trying to find a way to defeat the Mother of Ten Thousand Demons. The Guardians are on a quest to reach the Azure Isles to find the Guardian of Water so that they may save the Morning Realms and bring balance to the world.

Writing style wise, Jae-Jones has a way with words that make these books fun to dive into with each story. I was trying to find the time to read the first three books again but that plan quickly went up in flames so when I opened Suhwa, I was happy to see an opening that summarized the first three books, giving key story details that were needed to be able to read this book and yes, THANK YOU, I needed to read that, just a little refresher, no big deal. At the same time, Jae-Jones has created this entire world that is so easy to step back into, to recognize the aspects of the fairytale that is woven into and then also see all the various details that were made to make the Guardians of Dawn world its own creation. Everything felt familiar because of past books and gave a sense of comfort because, let's be honest, if you're reading book four of a series, you already know that you want to step back into this world and see what comes next for the characters you've come to know and love and it was just a delight to see how everything was finally going to be settled once and for all in this final installment. Jae-Jones had so many threads to weave for the overall plot and each was handled expertly, giving details when they were needed and hitting reveals at just the right moment to keep the pages moving.

In terms of characters, I grew to really love Suhwa over the course of the book. Knowing what I did because of the other stories, I was a little frustrated with her when she decided to leave the convent for a performance despite having been warned of the danger but she quickly grew on me. I loved how she was this girl who really wanted to know people her own age, to experience the world and have new adventures and I couldn't fault this kid for having big dreams and then trying to finally have a new experience. Then we get to see the rest of the Guardians and their banter is just as fun as I've come to expect because each girl is so unique and the way they meld together makes for a joyful reading experience. I loved how each girl was so strong, with Zhara trying to find a way to lead them, Ami working on her translations to find a solution to their problems and Yuli being a little brash at times but still so loyal to her friends and loved ones and the addition to Suhwa to their mix was just the right amount of a new level-headed and thoughtful personality to make these girls complete. I loved seeing all our previous leads back, Han, Gaden, Xu, and Jiyi, amongst others, and it goes to show how much each of them are essential to the outcome of the whole series that they are all back in this book. Each character had a role to play, a way to move the storyline where it needed to go and while the cast is kind of a lot, there was not a single unnecessary character in the bunch. When you have a cast this big, it takes talent to make each one important in their own way and I loved that about the way Jae-Jones developed these books.

I'm just going to go right out there and admit this now, this book made me tear up. There's a point in the story where everything seems to be going wrong and Jae-Jones takes a step back and only describes the characters and what they are doing without naming names and it was this moment that just made me choke up a little because I have spent so much time with these characters, years at this point, that those little details to explain who each person was and what they were doing to fight just filled me with so many emotions. I know who these characters are, I don't need their names anymore, and the imagery that those lines evoked just felt so all-encompassing in a way that I was just a little overcome because they were going into the end of the story, the big battles were culminating and I, hand to heart, got misty-eyed. The whole of this adventure had so many highs, so many reveals and twists and moments of triumph coupled with unexpected lows and I was just happy to be along for the ride one last time. I wanted to see how everything would play out and the entire journey was just, as I said before, exactly what I needed to close out this series. I love these girls and while I could have spent a little more time with Suhwa on her own before she joined the rest of the group, I can't complain about how this book manages to wrap everything up.

Read this book if you like fairytales, Sailor Moon and people trying to save the world all mixed together.


Rating on my Scale: 10 Stars. It made me cry, automatic 10 Stars when a book does that. I tested it, actually, and went back to read the scene again two more times and yep, still get teary. So there you have it, the end of a series of great adventures. I really hope S. Jae-Jones has something else in the works because I am ready for more books by one of my favorite authors.


My thanks to NetGalley, St. Martin's Press, Wednesday Books and S. Jae-Jones for the eARC of this book in exchange for a honest review. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment