Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Review: Riders

Riders by Veronica Rossi
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

More like 2.5 stars

In the end this turned out to be a fast read. The idea of the Four Horsemen being 4 teenagers from around the world was intriguing and the demons that went after them were definitely an interesting aspect to the book.

One of my quibbles was the characterisation of Gideon and the constant fighting he got into. I understand that he's War but it was ridiculous how quick he was to start a fight. His constant need to compete was really eye-roll worthy as well. It was a lot of things like, and I'm paraphrasing here, "Gideon has a sword but hey, the other guy has a bow and arrow, that's so much cooler, in fact, the sword actually sucks. Why couldn't Gideon have a better weapon?"

Dude, seriously, quit with the whining! A sword is just as badass of a weapon as anything else. Get over it!

My other quibble was the framing device of the narrative. I never felt any real anticipation during the course of the book because I knew where Gideon was as he related his story to us. That kept me from being really invested in the story until some time in the later half of the book.

Last, but not least, the sudden devoted romance. I didn't buy Giedon's need to protect Daryn, the young woman set with the task of gathering the Four Horsemen together. If this is intended to be a series, perhaps that development could have had some time to grow in later books.

Still, overall the book was interesting and the other characters kept my attention even when Gideon was acting like a moron. I might read the next one in the series when it's released.



My rating on a scale of 1 to 10 Stars: 5 Stars

I'm in a forgiving mood. I'm giving it 5 Stars because I'm optimistic and if the library orders it, I'll read the next one when it's released.


No comments:

Post a Comment