Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Review: The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall

The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall by Katie Alender
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I had a big problem with the setup to this book. There was just too much in terms of getting the story going that I disagreed with in Part One. The parents bugged me to no end and I didn't agree with the actions that took place before Part Two kicked off.

I also was not a big fan of Delia as a character. She seemed extremely inconsiderate and a bit self-centered. I liked the fact that others pointed these things out to her because I just wanted to slap her upside the head when she kept mucking things up when she failed to think before she spoke. Also, her characterization seemed to go back and forth too many times before it settled back into what seemed to be the same level-headed teen from the beginning of the book.

Pacing was a little choppy for me with too many time jumps that were more a blink and you miss them kind of deal explained with characters that showed up and then moved on because they weren't necessary to the plot. And the story behind the events at the house was a little simple and conveniently dealt with in the end. I didn't find this scary or creepy but I'll try Alender's other books to see if something else really catches my attention.


Rating on my scale of 1 to 10 Stars: 3.5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment