Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Review: The Nightmare Affair

The Nightmare Affair by Mindee Arnett
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book was charming and unique. I loved the idea of Dusty, a Nightmare like her mother, attending a school where she had to take classes with other magickind like her siren best friend and a wizard bully, mermaids, hags, werewolves and demons. She's not the usual new kid at school but she's still on the outside trying to both fit in and live down her mother's rebellious reputation, which gives her enough room to question her new magic and her surroundings so that the reader can learn the rules of this book's world. I never felt like I was bored reading about the way the school worked or the divisions between students because the info was given in just the right places to draw interest and keep the pace moving.

I really enjoyed Dusty as a character. She had a good head on her shoulders and was silly enough to be a teenager while still being able to think for herself, work out clues and ask the right questions. When her help was needed to solve a murder at the school, she stepped up with the right amount of trepidation, quirky charm and intelligence that a lead character needs to keep the reader engaged in the story.

To me, the best part of this book dealt with Dusty's background as a Nightmare and her particular family heritage. The mythology and folklore seen in the book was something I've always been interested in and to see it used as inspiration this way was brilliant. I hope Arnett expands on this a little more in the next book.

I went out and got The Nightmare Dilemma before I'd finished chapter 5 of The Nightmare Affair, that's how much I really liked this book.



Rating on my scale of 1 to 10 Stars: 9 Stars. Dusty was just that awesome, she deserves that many stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment