Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Review: The Immortals

The Immortals by Jordanna Max Brodsky
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

1.5 Stars

This started out really strong with interesting characters, an intriguing mystery unfolding, funny quips and situations to keep me reading.

And then it just changed and I was left wondering what the hell just happened to the promising book I'd originally started reading.

I'll start with Selene. I thought she was selfish, spoiled, stubborn and naive. The entire course of the novel has her making demands of people and getting angry when she wasn't obeyed. She made excuses when the truth was staring her in the face. She ran away from any situation that forced her to care because she couldn't handle true emotion. She dove into situations without thinking them through and got angry when others tried to help her despite the fact that she needed the help. She got jealous when she didn't have the right to be.

And last but not least, Selene made excuses for the villain once they were revealed, saying things like she'd explain why what they were doing was wrong and then they'd understand and change their actions for the better. Which was ridiculous when she was ready to destroy the person she'd originally accused. I hate when the protagonist makes excuses like that. Just because they want to make the world fit their beliefs does not change the fact that sometimes evil people choose to destroy others. A calm discussion with them about right and wrong will not change a villain no matter how much you wish it would work like that.

I know other readers feel like Selene was strong and a protector but I couldn't support what she did throughout the book. She'd say one thing and then quickly change her mind about that decision. She only saved women because she was obligated to as a "protector of the innocent". It wasn't a choice and more than half the time she didnt give a damn about the women she saved. Selene didnt even care all that much about the women she'd known in the past, the ones that had called her a friend.

The entire novel had Selene talking about how she kept herself apart from human interactions, leaving me waiting for her to finally wise up for a life changing lesson that never arrived. She didn't have any real growth until the last 20 pages and even then it felt hokey because there wasn't enough build-up to make me believe that she'd learned anything. I didn't really like Theo either because of all the decisions he made at the expense of himself all thanks to Selene. I hate when guys are willing to throw themselves at the mercy of a woman they just met and hardly know. When Theo said Selene was a friend, Selene actually wondered when that had happened, them becoming friends. At that point, I was wondering the exact same thing myself. It was that kind of situation with them the whole time.

The book was filled with weird situations that just gave away too much for me in terms of figuring out where the mystery was going. I saw too much of it coming a mile away. I made myself finish reading it just to be sure that it didn't have some awesome twist that changed the whole book for the better. It didn't and now I can be sure that the sequel is not something I'll pick up in the future.



My rating on a scale of 1 to 10 Stars: 2.5 Stars

I really wasn't impressed with this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment