Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Review: Hold Me Closer, Necromancer

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was sold on this book the moment our main character Sam, real name Samhain, explained that his name was pronounced Sowen, despite the fact that everyone calls him Sam. That there cemented this book as a great read for me.

I loved the development, the friendships, the risks taken for family. Because the characters were so well-crafted it was easy to care for the situations, to understand their strife and to root for the good guys to win.

My only qualm comes from a certain extra point of view that I didn't really care for. It didn't help me care for the character or understand their motivations because there wasn't enough actual feeling in their narration of their past and current situations for me to give a damn about them. I understand that the character is detached from emotion but if the point was to draw sympathy, it needed something to make me care for that particular person. Instead, I was just glad when the end, whatever end that was because I don't want to spoil it for others, came for that point of view.

Despite that, overall this was a great book. The world is interesting and I have book 2 ready to read. My only concern before I read it is that it looks like there's nothing more to read in McBride's Necromancer world after that and that fact saddens me.



My rating on my scale of 1 to 10 Stars: 8.5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment