Monday, November 2, 2020

My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell: A Review


I'm leaving this unrated. After everything I've seen about issues with the story, the facts behind it and so on, I am just not comfortable rating this.

In the end, I think this book is just difficult to get through. I was considering putting this down as a DNF but I convinced myself to finish it. The shifting timelines, the shifting beliefs, the drawn out story all made me feel like it was too much to handle in one lump sum. I wanted someone to come forward and stop that monster, I wanted someone to believe Vanessa, I wanted more suffering for the villain of the book because yes, I think he was a villain. On the other hand, I thought the book was almost too much, too long, and then I felt bad for thinking that and kept reading.

Despite it all, I did like the way it ended. Maybe it felt a bit abrupt but I think for a story with this subject matter it needed to end in an open way that leaves questions. It can't be summed up and tied off with a bow. It had enough of a note of hope that I did not feel disappointed at the way it finished.

I will say that whatever Russell publishes next, I will most likely end up reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment